Thread: I wish I had Known !

Valued Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,082 Times in 3,381 Posts

I wish I had Known !

A lot of new reptiles being purchased lately , this is probably "Old Stuff" for many , but it could help someone who may be thinking about getting that "First Reptile" ?

You may see the abbreviations CB, WC, CBB, and others . I hope this will help , especially for new "reptile" purchasers !

WC- Stands for wild caught. These animals are typically not the way you want to go, especially your first time purchasing. These animals typically do not do well in captivity and demand much more attention than captive bred animals.

LTC- Stands for Long Term Captive. These are animals that have been kept in captivity for several years and are considered “tame”. However, these animals are still WC, and still may show signs of aggression and other problems associated with WC animals.

CB- This is where it can get confusing. So please direct your attention to this. CB will typically have two different meanings. 1- Captive bred, which is all around the best way to go. 2- Captive born, meaning the eggs were transported in bulk from and hatched in captivity. Both are better choices than WC, but captive bred is better than captive born. Captive bred specimens will have better dispositions. Captive born specimens may still have some aggression traits and other WC traits since they haven’t been bred exclusively for captivity, unlike lineages of captive bred specimens. So this is a confusing part. When you see CB, always be sure to ask which it is before purchasing. CB as in captive bred? Or CB as in captive born?

CBB- Stands for Captive born and bred. Basically the captive bred of CB. This is all around the best choice .

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Slick For This Useful Post:: coolmoon (04-08-17),dimzel (04-08-17),flyingwillie (06-08-17),Johnny (04-08-17),salemswhip (05-08-17)
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,896 Times in 13,247 Posts
    Very good information Duane. It can get very confusing.

Also wild caught reptiles have a very difficult time adjusting to captivity and some will end up dying because they can not handle being caged.
    Saving the world, one reptile at a time. They make me want to be a better person. My name is Ann.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coolmoon For This Useful Post:: flyingwillie (06-08-17),salemswhip (05-08-17),Slick (04-08-17)
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,566 Times in 22,314 Posts
    Duane, thanks for the useful information.

I want to add that in our forum a negative attitude towards the extraction of animals from the wild. Ann wrote the reason.
    My name is Irina. Sorry my mistakes in English.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dimzel For This Useful Post:: flyingwillie (06-08-17),Slick (04-08-17)
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,085 Times in 12,288 Posts
    Thank you for the information, Duane. I agree, if you have to have an animal, wild caught is not the way to go, in my opinion.
    I have one exception to that rule, though. In areas like Florida, where wild iguanas are so many to be considered pests, people organize extermination hunting sprees. So, to save some of them, some people go out and capture wild iguanas and then try to find them a home. In this I can understand "wild caught".
    Hello all my name is Mariana, mother to the green iguana Johnny

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johnny For This Useful Post:: dimzel (05-08-17),flyingwillie (06-08-17),salemswhip (05-08-17),Slick (04-08-17)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,051 Times in 1,146 Posts
    Very useful information. I never knew what these abbreviations meant until now. thanks for sharing, Duane!
    My name is Moriah

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to salemswhip For This Useful Post:: dimzel (05-08-17),flyingwillie (06-08-17),Slick (05-08-17)
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,566 Times in 22,314 Posts
    Marianne, yes. In Florida, this is a rescue for iguanas. And we remember the case when Yani rescued a small iguana in Mexico.
    My name is Irina. Sorry my mistakes in English.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dimzel For This Useful Post:: flyingwillie (06-08-17),Slick (05-08-17)