Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My new charges. Pilgrim Geese

Thanks
    Thanked 3,492 Times in 2,184 Posts
    Yes, just four. They are two pairs. I was told they mate for life. The ducks can get in their paddock under a gate, but they can't get out as they are too big to go under the gate. My husband helped me trim the wings on the girls last night. I was afraid they might fly in with the Catahoulas, and get killed. By the time their feathers regrow they should be used to the place. I don't like to clip wings on my yard birds. It's been several years since I had geese. In the past I lost one to Beleg (Catahoula), a couple to coyotes, and my goslings were killed by fire ants.
    I am hoping to having better luck with these by keeping them in the paddock. I still have to figure out how I'm going to set up their nest boxes for them.
    "The miracle is this: the more we share the more we have." Leonard Nimoy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dragonfly For This Useful Post: dimzel (13-11-17)
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,143 Times in 21,946 Posts
    Keep us updated. I hope everything will be fine with your new beautiful birds.Name:  нежная.gif
Views: 23
Size:  5.6 KB
    My name is Irina. Sorry my mistakes in English.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dimzel For This Useful Post: dragonfly (17-11-17)
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,244 Times in 12,796 Posts
    Well past experience has taught you valuable lessons. I think you will do well with them and I look forward to seeing them when they have settled in.
    Saving the world, one reptile at a time. They make me want to be a better person. My name is Ann.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coolmoon For This Useful Post:: dimzel (13-11-17),dragonfly (17-11-17)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,356 Times in 11,787 Posts
    ^^ This. Experience is our best friend.
    Hello all my name is Mariana, mother to the green iguana Johnny

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny For This Useful Post: dragonfly (17-11-17)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 2,070 Posts
    Your geese are beautiful. Are they nice? I've heard that geese can be aggressive. I have Pekin ducks. My husband likes to tease me and call them "hanging ducks."
    My name is Sharon, mommy to Malakai. We live in Vacaville, CA in the US.

If it's meant to be it'll be, if it ain't it won't... it's life, live with it.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdellin For This Useful Post:: dimzel (18-11-17),dragonfly (Today)
    Thanks
    Sharon, as a child, I was very afraid of my grandmother's geese. We hope to see your ducks.

Thanks
    These guys are just now getting brave enough to walk towards me. I haven't owned an aggressive goose except a male protecting his offspring. But some can be. Unfortunately, I have lost a duck since bringing these guys home. She flew into the Catahoulas pen and they killed her. A second one was still alive when I found her. I am hoping she will survive. I believe they roosted on the dog pen instead of the barn and gate because they were afraid of the geese, and then flew into their pen accidentally. I say this after making one move tonight. The geese haven't been on the barn roof since that first time. Anyway, I'm sad about it, but I can't be mad at my dogs. I should have been watching the ducks closer since I brought the geese home. I forgot that geese were intimidating to the ducks.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dragonfly For This Useful Post: dimzel (19-11-17)
    Thanks
    Honey, I'm sorry that there was this incident.Name:  ??????????.gif
Views: 16
Size:  6.1 KB

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dimzel For This Useful Post: dragonfly (21-11-17)
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,244 Times in 12,796 Posts
    That is very sad, I am sorry you lost one of your babies. Unfortunately we sometimes forget or don't know, we are only human.
    Saving the world, one reptile at a time. They make me want to be a better person. My name is Ann.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to coolmoon For This Useful Post: dragonfly (21-11-17)
    Thanks
    Unfortunately a duck or chicken occasionally flies into the Catahoula's pen. Surprisingly, more of them have survived than have not. They have to be supervised when out, but they don't out of their way to try to get a bird. And when they do go after one, they can be called off. It's not perfect, but if I had to keep my birds penned up all the time, I wouldn't have them.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dragonfly For This Useful Post:: dimzel (21-11-17),gemma (21-11-17)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast