Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My new charges. Pilgrim Geese

Thanks
    Thanked 33,143 Times in 21,946 Posts
    into the Catahoula's pen
    Name:  ??????.gif
Views: 11
Size:  2.2 KB I try to understand
    My name is Irina. Sorry my mistakes in English.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 2,070 Posts
    Irina, Catahoulas. They are beautiful, yes? I would love to have one.

Quote Originally Posted by gemma View Post
    They are lovely! Ive always wanted to keep geese! They are so full of character and really funny to watch. A friend of mine had 2 in a large front garden and they were better than guard dogs! The post man running down the path with them pulling his trousers and making as much noise as possible yours are really pretty too

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    One more of the girls. They did come down. Sorry about the poor quality of the pictures, they are shy still and the weather here is miserable, rainy and 46.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
    I get it, they can't fly unless it's rainly, 46 degrees and they are still shy. I understand now.

These guys are just now getting brave enough to walk towards me. I haven't owned an aggressive goose except a male protecting his offspring. But some can be. Unfortunately, I have lost a duck since bringing these guys home. She flew into the Catahoulas pen and they killed her. A second one was still alive when I found her. I am hoping she will survive. I believe they roosted on the dog pen instead of the barn and gate because they were afraid of the geese, and then flew into their pen accidentally. I say this after making one move tonight. The geese haven't been on the barn roof since that first time. Anyway, I'm sad about it, but I can't be mad at my dogs. I should have been watching the ducks closer since I brought the geese home. I forgot that geese were intimidating to the ducks.

This happened to me when I first got the Pekin ducks. Kano reached into the tub I had them in and grabbed one. You cannot be angry at your dogs for being dogs. It is not their fault any more than it is our fault we breathe. It's sad and I'm sorry, but your dogs are dogs, the best animals on earth.

Unfortunately a duck or chicken occasionally flies into the Catahoula's pen. Surprisingly, more of them have survived than have not. They have to be supervised when out, but they don't out of their way to try to get a bird. And when they do go after one, they can be called off. It's not perfect, but if I had to keep my birds penned up all the time, I wouldn't have them.
    Could you cover the top of the Catahoula's pen? Maybe that would help keep out the birds. I have chickens and the frame around their paddock is about 10 feet high. I have chicken wire stretched over the top to keep hawks out. Most of it anyway, another project i need to finish. We hardly ever see a hawk around here, but just to be safe I'm covering their pen with chicken wire.
    My name is Sharon, mommy to Malakai. We live in Vacaville, CA in the US.

If it's meant to be it'll be, if it ain't it won't... it's life, live with it.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdellin For This Useful Post:: dimzel (Yesterday),gemma (Yesterday)
    Thanks
    CatahoulasName:  ?????????.GIF
Views: 11
Size:  10.5 KBWow. Very beautiful.

Sharon, I think that work on a ranch never ends, only is inherited. Good luck!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,492 Times in 2,184 Posts
    Well, their pen is about 50 x 60 feet and 6 feet tall. We've got a 20 x 50 foot frame for the shade tarp cover over part of it. Eventually I want to redo their pen, but I don't know when I'll get the time, or money. The to do list never ends :-)

"The miracle is this: the more we share the more we have." Leonard Nimoy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dragonfly For This Useful Post: dimzel (Today)
    Thanks
    Can you show the photo?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 2,070 Posts
    Well, their pen is about 50 x 60 feet and 6 feet tall. We've got a 20 x 50 foot frame for the shade tarp cover over part of it. Eventually I want to redo their pen, but I don't know when I'll get the time, or money. The to do list never ends :-)

Your list sounds like my list...
    My name is Sharon, mommy to Malakai. We live in Vacaville, CA in the US.

If it's meant to be it'll be, if it ain't it won't... it's life, live with it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123