Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rhino iguana ...

Thanks
    Thanked 33,527 Times in 22,282 Posts
    Good luck!
    My name is Irina. Sorry my mistakes in English.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dimzel For This Useful Post: Hillmans (Today)
    Thanks
    Name:  DSC_0022.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  85.7 KBName:  DSC_0024.jpg
Size:  91.2 KBName:  DSC_0025.jpg
Size:  91.7 KBName:  DSC_0026.jpg
Size:  69.6 KBName:  DSC_0027.jpg
Size:  80.6 KB

Thanks
    Name:  DSC_0020.jpg
Size:  99.5 KBName:  DSC_0021.jpg
Size:  89.5 KB

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hillmans For This Useful Post: dimzel (02-12-17)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,440 Posts
    Thank you for the pictures ^^

The femoral pores look like he is still in the season XD

Unfortunately some texts are too small to read on the pictures but I get the idea.

Kaj climbs up on your computer chair for territorial challenge. He knows it's your territory and he is challenging you. Even if he acts nice while he is on your chair you want to stop him from climbing up on it. The chair & the computer desk is " no " zone for him. It should be your place only. He might try to get up on your laps with cute puppy face while you are sitting in the computer chair but don't buy it lol. When he trys to climb up just gently lift him up & put him on the floor XD

The kitchen. Even if he doesn't act aggressive in there you have to show him you are the boss & you set the house rules. No throwing food on the floor. You show him while you are preparing his food there. Let him wait. Feed him the food in a bowl while you are holding the bowl.

It's really good that he is not aggressive all the time. It doesn't look bad at all. Kaj needs to learn that you are the boss & you just have to show him.
    Hello~ my name is Taka. I have a red iguana Charby

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Takacha For This Useful Post:: Hillmans (Today),sdellin (02-12-17)
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,527 Times in 22,282 Posts
    Sweet boy in the photo.Name:  ?????????.GIF
Size:  10.5 KB
    Last edited by dimzel; 06-12-17 at 07:28.
    My name is Irina. Sorry my mistakes in English.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dimzel For This Useful Post: Hillmans (Today)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,651 Times in 2,470 Posts
    This will sound condescending, but I am proud of you for saying you will not re-home Kaj. A lot of iguana owners do during breeding season because they do not know how to handle their iguanas. I was going to say that if his femoral pores have protrusions of the waxy stuff he is still in breeding season.

Your iguana can still remain your friend, he just needs to know that you are the boss. It's harder to deal with him during his breeding season, but you can do it once you establish a routine to handle it.

Taka gave you the most valuable advice, the pushing the iguana to the floor with your hand behind the head, the use of a cardboard shield, and containing him to his enclosure when he is acting aggressive, those are all things that will help you re-tame him. I use the word "re-tame" because that is essentially what you are doing. When taming, we use out-of-enclosure time as a taming tool. When Kaj is being aggressive he must go to his room. He will then be allowed out when he is calm. I would suggest you bring him out into another room, but not the whole house, until he learns to remain calm in that space. If he's good, he gets more space, and so on. This way he will learn that his behavior, being aggressive towards you, is not acceptable and that his being kept only in his room is the result of his actions.

Here is a simple example of actions and results. I carry Malakai (green iguana) outside to his outdoor enclosure. Every year I have to remind him of the rules. He gets so excited that he will try to climb out of my arms, and roll around trying to get to the outdoor enclosure when we walk to wards it, like he's trying to hurry me up. If he does this, I will simply turn around and walk back towards the house while says "easy, easy." When he calms down I will immediately turn around and walk back towards his enclosure. After a few days of this I will be able to walk him out to the outdoor enclosure with no struggle. He forgets over the winter, and has to be reminded. This is how I trained him to walk quietly to the outdoor enclosure in the first place. He learned that his actions, struggling, resulted in us going away from where he wanted to be, the outdoor enclosure.

You will be doing the same thing by letting Kaj remain in his enclosure when he displays aggression towards you. You are willing to be patient, that is good. Keep in mind, this may not work when he is in season. He maybe have to stay in his enclosure whenever his is in season. But that is better than you being in danger. Hopefully he will be able to get the message and be out during breeding season or not. That is what another member did to re-tame her iguana to breeding season and it has worked so far for her.

Be steadfast and stay on the forum, there is much information here and we will always help you, one way or another.
    My name is Sharon, mommy to Malakai. We live in Vacaville, CA in the US.

If it's meant to be it'll be, if it ain't it won't... it's life, live with it.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sdellin For This Useful Post:: dimzel (02-12-17),Hillmans (Today),Johnny (02-12-17)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,651 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Do you have any update on Kaj?
    My name is Sharon, mommy to Malakai. We live in Vacaville, CA in the US.

If it's meant to be it'll be, if it ain't it won't... it's life, live with it.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdellin For This Useful Post:: dimzel (04-12-17),Hillmans (Today)
    Thanks
    Sorry for late update, i have been very sick.

I think i have good updatings!

I did this push on the neck when he wanted to go head on head to me several times.
    it was the day when i posted the pictures on this thread he did that.

All this time i have avoided eye contact with him. He hasnt been aggressive to me any day (yet so far).

But when i make eye contact, its like hes whole body turns into aggressive tense. I mean when i make eye conctact by mistake for 0,5 seconds. he becomes tense right away!

Re homing an animal isnt fair to the animal sdellin, thats why i turn here for help :)

Thanks everyone for the help !! i can update if something new happends. Thanks to the tips here, hes not aggresive.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hillmans For This Useful Post: dimzel (Today)
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,851 Times in 13,214 Posts
    That is very good news. Keep up the good work and I am sure you will again have a peaceful relationship. Thank you for the update.
    Saving the world, one reptile at a time. They make me want to be a better person. My name is Ann.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to coolmoon For This Useful Post: dimzel (Today)
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,041 Times in 12,262 Posts
    This is wonderful, I am so glad you found a way to get both of you through this
    Hello all my name is Mariana, mother to the green iguana Johnny

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast