Thread: Small Temporary Terrarium for a Baby Iguana

Thanks
    Thanked 38,208 Times in 26,000 Posts

Small Temporary Terrarium for a Baby Iguana

Most iguanas will have two terrariums in their lifetime: one through the baby and juvenile stages; and a second one when they’ve grown to adulthood. Our forum has chosen the most optimal dimensions for each terrarium. The juvenile terrarium is designed to allow the iguana to live in it for up to 1.5 years (this is approximate, depending on the growth rate of each individual iguana). After this, the iguana should be moved to an adult terrarium.

Very often, an iguana owner will start with a terrarium smaller than what we recommend here on the forum. There are various reasons for this: The new iguana owner purchased a small terrarium when they purchased their baby iguana; the owner purchased a small terrarium for the purpose of taming a baby iguana. For a small, temporary terrarium there are advantages, but the main drawback is its short lifespan. A baby iguana will quickly outgrow such a small terrarium.

When we talk about a small temporary terrarium, we are not talking about a fish tank or a small reptile terrarium. Those types of terrariums are not acceptable for iguanas.

The small temporary terrarium is a full terrarium set up for a for baby iguana.

There are many good articles on our forum to assist you in creating the correct terrarium for your iguana, depending on its age and size. You can visit the link below to see examples and learn from the experiences of other members.
    http://reptile-parrots.com/forums/sh...e-yours!-(new)

Below is an example showing how easy it is to create a small temporary terrarium if you do not already have an appropriate terrarium for a baby iguana. We used a chest of drawers, made from particle board, that we no longer needed.

Name:  product_12255095.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  4.3 KB

Our chest of drawers was small, but still the size was much better than the size of the iguana's current terrarium. Our chest had a floor space of 50x82 cm (approx. 20"x32"). After making adjustments, we ended up with a floor space of 65x82 cm (approx 25"x32").

First, we dismantled our chest of drawers into separate planks. Additionally, we used two pieces of plywood to make the ceiling and the floor. To prevent moisture from damaging the planks, we use the following method:
    Name:  functionarecelula -----.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  40.4 KB

The plywood was coated with acrylic varnish.
    Name:  ???.JPG
Size:  117.9 KB

We added linoleum to the plywood we used to make the floor.
    Name:  ??? (1).JPG
Size:  118.7 KB

We expanded the depth of our chest by adding 15 cm (approx. 6") sections to each side wall
    . We used dowels and glue to join the sections together. We did not alter the width of the front or back walls.
    Name:  ?????.jpg
Size:  26.2 KB
    Name:  ???? ?????.jpg
Size:  54.0 KB

Name:  ???? ????? (1).jpg
Views: 83
Size:  62.4 KB

We used rolls of cork as our decorative natural covering for the inside of the enclosure walls. This is not the most durable material, but for a small terrarium it is suitable because the life of a small terrarium will be short. Our iguana will soon move on to a juvenile terrarium.
    Name:  ??????.jpg
Size:  36.1 KB

We used insulation material on the ceiling.
    Name:  1.jpg
Size:  53.4 KB

We cut holes for our lamps and air vents before adding any decorations to the terrarium.
    Name:  2.jpg
Size:  13.8 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Size:  9.0 KB

Below are the finished walls, ceiling and floor that we will use to build our terrarium.
    Name:  4.jpg
Size:  32.6 KB
    Name:  6.jpg
Size:  139.6 KB

Last edited by sdellin; 02-03-18 at 08:27.
    My name is Irina. Sorry my mistakes in English.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dimzel For This Useful Post:: Johnny (13-03-18),Scarl (12-03-18)
    Thanks
    Next we assembled the walls, ceiling and floor of the terrarium.
    Name:  SAM_0150.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  91.6 KB

We used one drawer from our original chest to raise the terrarium off the floor.
    Name:  Терр сборка.JPG
Size:  39.8 KB

We used plastic laminate trim to cover exposed particle board.
    Name:  SAM_0152.JPG
Views: 76
Size:  125.5 KB Name:  SAM_0184.JPG
Views: 75
Size:  119.0 KB

We added a false roof to cover the exposed electrical wires from the lighting on the ceiling of the terrarium.
    Name:  SAM_0277.JPG
Views: 74
Size:  104.7 KB Name:  SAM_0279.JPG
Size:  130.9 KB

Before cutting the board for your top shelf, you will need to decide which Mega-Ray UVB bulb you will be using. We only recommend the Mega-Ray Self-Ballasted Mercury Vapor Bulb. For this size of terrarium, a 70-watt or 100-watt bulb will be sufficient. The recommended minimum distance between the UVB bulb and your iguana is measured with the iguana sitting up on the top shelf, not lying down. It's important to maintain the minimum safe distance between the UVB bulb and your iguana to avoid a serious burn.

The recommended minimum safe distance between your iguana and the 70-watt Mega Ray UVB bulb is 7 inches (18 cm). The lamp should be hung so that the measurement from the bulb to the top of the iguana's head when sitting up is between a minimum of 7 inches (18 cm) and a maximum of 12 inches (30 cm).

The recommended minimum safe distance between your iguana and the 100-watt Mega Ray UVB bulb is 14 inches (35.5 cm). The lamp should be hung so that the measurement from the bulb to the top of the iguana's head when sitting up is between a minimum of 14 inches (35.5 cm) and a maximum of 20 inches (50.8 cm).

Next, we cut a board for our top shelf and sewed a pad to match its size and shape. We attached the pad to the shelf using Velcro.
    Name:  матрас (1).JPG
Views: 72
Size:  116.0 KBName:  матрас (2).JPG
Size:  96.4 KBName:  матрас (3).JPG
Size:  140.6 KB
    Name:  матрас.JPG
Size:  120.1 KB

We made additional shelves to serve as a stairs for the iguana to move about the terrarium. We added a branch for climbing, closing in gaps with pieces of plywood and rope.
    Name:  SAM_0262.JPG
Size:  38.7 KBName:  SAM_0264.JPG
Size:  33.0 KBName:  SAM_0266.JPG
Size:  48.0 KB

We trimmed the edges of a piece of carpet for the floor so there were no loose carpet fibers.
    Name:  SAM_0258.JPG
Size:  199.8 KB

Our finished terrarium (before the doors were added).
    Name:  SAM_0274.jpg
Size:  125.4 KB

This terrarium was built as a gift for another iguana owner. The doors were added later. There are many options for doors on a terrarium, but no matter what type of doors are used, a lock must be installed to prevent the iguana from opening the doors..

Sliding doors with rails and lock:
    Name:  glass door rails.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  50.2 KBName:  glass door lock2.jpeg
Views: 66
Size:  4.7 KB
    Name:  sliding doors.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  109.4 KB

Swinging glass door pivot hinges and lock:
    Name:  glass door pivot hinges.jpeg
Views: 65
Size:  94.6 KBName:  glass pivot lock.jpg
Size:  24.7 KBName:  glass pivot lock2.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  36.5 KB

Wood frame doors with hinges and lock:
    Name:  glass doors1.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  46.5 KBName:  malakai lock1.jpg
Size:  45.9 KBName:  malakai lock2.jpg
Size:  36.4 KBName:  malakai hinge.jpg
Size:  48.1 KB
    Last edited by sdellin; 27-02-18 at 21:02.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dimzel For This Useful Post:: Jenn (13-03-18),Johnny (13-03-18),Scarl (12-03-18)
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,925 Times in 16,633 Posts
    This is great Irina.
    Saving the world, one reptile at a time. They make me want to be a better person. My name is Ann.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to coolmoon For This Useful Post: dimzel (12-03-18)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,059 Times in 4,197 Posts
    Yes, it is. Thank you! Wish I’d had it for baby Malakai.
    My name is Sharon, mommy to Malakai. We live in Vacaville, CA in the US.

If it's meant to be it'll be, if it ain't it won't... it's life, live with it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sdellin For This Useful Post: dimzel (12-03-18)
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,367 Times in 2,654 Posts
    Very nice article, Irina This will be very helpful to many new baby iguana owners ^^
    Hello~ my name is Taka. I have a red iguana Charby

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Takacha For This Useful Post: dimzel (12-03-18)
    Thanks
    Thank you, girls. And thanks for Sharon's help.Name:  сердце перелив&#10.gif
Views: 50
Size:  14.5 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 2,857 Times in 1,835 Posts
    This is a really great post, and should be very helpful for new owners!
    My name is Stephen, and I have a male green iguana named Darwin (since March 17th, 2016).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Scarl For This Useful Post: dimzel (12-03-18)
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,584 Times in 15,342 Posts
    It's a great idea for a terrarium in a pinch. Thank you, Irina.
    Hello all my name is Mariana, mother to the green iguana Johnny

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny For This Useful Post: dimzel (13-03-18)