Thread: Getting my baby green out of his enclosure without a hassle?

JR Member
    Thanks

Getting my baby green out of his enclosure without a hassle?

So we have had our little green for a little over half a year now. My little guy wants nothing to do with me while heís in cage. Takes a lot to get him out unless heís really tired, but I donít like bathing him when heís tired. Gotta move so slow, make no eye contact, and even then he will whip, stand and attempt to flee. A little wrestling is usually required. Funny thing is once heís out he acts like a champ. Has no problem hanging out on me and will eventually get bored and want to run around. Heís too small to give him the run of the house but we have a stick , roped to a support pole thatís as high as can be and he enjoys perching from time to time. In fact he will refuse to leave my arm and return to the tank. Itís obvious his curiosity overwhelms his angst once you get him out and on you or his perching stick. In his home he shows almost no signs of stress. Lounges HARD, eats until heís fat everyday, and his pooping routine can almost be used to tell time of day ( its actually quite funny he doesnít bath and poop like most Iíve seen. He likes to spread his legs while hanging on a vine and poop off of it, so i just placed a water dish underneath). He isnít overly lethargic and usually makes a couple runs around the enclosure around dinner when heís fed, warm and up for an adventure to find an escape lol. All around great iguana....except getting him out. I used to bath him every day so he could get used to handling, but i think that may be the problem. I think because i would put food, changed poop water, and bath him all at once before work he associates the cage opening with being picked up. So Iím attempting to open the cage and hang out around it or just put my hand in for a bit, any activity that involves me sitting or standing there doing anything that isnít causing him to show any stress. I hope that he will learn not associate the door opening with being picked up. Last time i handled him i tried slowly petting him. He was not fond of me getting my hand close but after some soft stroking i worked closer to his neck and ended up giving him a good rubdown. He even closed both eyes and leaned into it. Very good sign, so i will do this after i bath him from now on. Which is once a week now instead as i have a mistking system and humidifier so daily bathing isnít absolutely necessary. Iím hoping that once a week bathing, and therefor once a week handling will reinforce trust when opening the door to his enclosure, and petting him when i do handle him until heís completely relaxed should help build trust in picking him up. He hasnít shown any interest in hand feeding but i may give this a try when he is used to being pet. Once he starts to respond well to being picked up i will start working into daily handling. If you or anyone has any opinions on this i would like to hear them. Heís young and we havenít had him too long so Iím hoping we can kick this picking up aggression before he gets big.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zanzibar7171 For This Useful Post:: dimzel (08-01-18),Johnny (08-01-18),Scarl (07-01-18)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,190 Times in 1,371 Posts
    It takes a lot of patience, and every iguana (and owner) is different. I know that is what everyone says, but it is true.

My iguana hated me for the first year, inside or out of his enclosure... but he especially hated being picked up. I followed the advice, and got tail whipped and death rolls for it. He sometimes went weeks between baths (I kept a tub in his enclosure) because I was so worried about his stress and panic.

Eventually I gave up and started picking up the pillow he basked on... carrying him to the bath and back on it like some kind of Pharaoh. This seemed like a good compromise, and he eventually let me pick him up for brief periods in the bathroom (to help him up to the vanity, for example). After a few months, I started carrying him back to the enclosure without the pillow, but it was still a while before I stopped needing the pillow.

It sounds like your little guy is doing well, so your plan to socialize a bit more with him in the cage sounds good.
    My name is Stephen, and I have a male green iguana named Darwin (since March 17th, 2016).

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scarl For This Useful Post:: dimzel (08-01-18),Zanzibar7171 (08-01-18)
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,825 Times in 12,714 Posts
    It may be too early to be comfortable with being picked up.
    One question: his enclosure opens on top or in the front?
    It took our boy 3 years to trust me and let me pick up relatively easy, but even today, when he is 13, he still claws at his pillows if I have to pick him up while basking.

Freedom is what they love, and the greatest thing you can use for rewarding them (that and food).
    So you can use some freedom when he behaves, so he can associated being picked up with being free to explore.
    If you do that, make sure you start small, in a protected room. An iguana-proofed bathroom is ideal.
    Hello all my name is Mariana, mother to the green iguana Johnny

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johnny For This Useful Post:: dimzel (08-01-18),Scarl (08-01-18),Zanzibar7171 (08-01-18)
    JR Member
    Thanks
    Door is in the front so I don’t have to come from above, and he sits at head level. I have a nice small bathroom i can use for the endeavour. Ill try rewarding him with freedom after his baths once a week as well as a little petting if he’s feeling it. Thanks for the advice!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zanzibar7171 For This Useful Post:: dimzel (08-01-18),Scarl (08-01-18)
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,342 Times in 22,897 Posts
    I will not write anything new. The guys correctly wrote that taming the iguana can take several months / years. Everyone passes through this stage.

I found a topic for you, how to tame a Small child. http://reptile-parrots.com/forums/sh...ng-your-Iguana

You do not have to give up daily swimming. This is useful for the iguana. And besides during such communication, there is a gradual taming and accustoming to the rules. After bathing, you can give delicious food from your hands.

I also advise reading other people's topics. Because these topics also have many useful tips and moral support. Those. you are not alone. Your little iguana behaves like other small iguanas.

Stephen wrote that he was helped by a pillow to take the iguana from the terrarium. It was easier for me when I took an iguana from the terrarium in the morning (the baby was not warmed up, and more passive). After bathing, he must eat delicious food from your hands, so that your baby has positive emotions from communicating with you.
    The basic rule in domestication is routine daily work. And after some time there will be a turning point.
    My name is Irina. Sorry my mistakes in English.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dimzel For This Useful Post:: Scarl (08-01-18),Zanzibar7171 (09-01-18)
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,523 Times in 13,613 Posts
    The only thing I will add is this link that explains how to get him out of the enclosure.

http://reptile-parrots.com/forums/sh...of-the-habitat
    Saving the world, one reptile at a time. They make me want to be a better person. My name is Ann.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coolmoon For This Useful Post:: dimzel (08-01-18),Scarl (08-01-18),Zanzibar7171 (09-01-18)
    JR Member
    Thanks
    Boom! I’m on th right track then. Thanks for the tips:)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Zanzibar7171 For This Useful Post: dimzel (09-01-18)
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,342 Times in 22,897 Posts
    When will we see your baby?Name:  please.gif
Views: 12
Size:  4.0 KB
    My name is Irina. Sorry my mistakes in English.