Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How I made a shelf with plexiglass walls

Thanks

How I made a shelf with plexiglass walls

So I saw everybody's amazing beds that they had for their lizards and because my walls are plexiglass I had to put my thinking cap on... The one thing I am good at is thinking outside the box. This is how I did it and these are the pictures in order

1- got a board
    2- drilled 7 small holes
    3- looped rope though then tied it in knots
    4- put towel on board
    5- slid the whole thing into a pillowcase
    6- caught six little holes in the pillowcase and pulled the loops through
    7 put a piece of fleece down on top along with her two pieces of paper towel because she likes to go to the bathroom on the paper towel. ( which makes it a lot easier for me)
    8- put 7 suction cups on the walls of the plexiglass. Hung of the loops on the hooks.
    9- very easy to clean just unhook it take it out if need be and wash
    10- I forgot after putting everything in the pillow case ... I flipped it over and on the bottom I used duct tape on the pillow case to keep it all secure so nothing would hang down

I was told less is more so I took out almost all the vines her Escape Route if she wants to get away is to climb down the vines on the back wall so I put a piece of Driftwood that goes from the floor up to the vines it curves just perfect I have one Vine wrapped around the Driftwood with one piece of rope wrapped around as well to make it easier for her to climb because it is very smooth. I have her little pond on the bottom and then my ponytail palm tree... I have one bunch of leaves in the front she likes her privacy and two Vines hanging down in the back where she likes to climb down. Less is more from what I have learned. Marianna Irina and Ann please give me your thoughts also if something is wrong please tell me thank you XOXO

♡~Becky~♡
    my Iguana's name was mignonettet changed it to Willow

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mignonette For This Useful Post:: dimzel (13-01-18),dragonfly (13-01-18),gemma (13-01-18)
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,523 Times in 13,613 Posts
    That is very creative and it looks like it gives her a lot more room to stretch out. I think it might be better to have something sturdier for her to climb down on, maybe the ladder?
    Saving the world, one reptile at a time. They make me want to be a better person. My name is Ann.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coolmoon For This Useful Post:: dimzel (13-01-18),mignonette (12-01-18)
    Thanks
    The letter I had wasn't tall enough. I have the wood secured to the wall with a heavy duty suction cup and I have the bottom pushed against the wall and then rocks around it so it can't move. If I can find a ladder long enough I will definitely try that thank you if you have other suggestions don't hesitate to tell me. I am not the type of person that gets offended or upset if people tell me I'm doing something wrong. In fact I would hope somebody would tell me.

♡~Becky~♡

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mignonette For This Useful Post: dimzel (13-01-18)
    Thanks
    The only thing I have left to do is to change the very top I have to cut the screen off because it is like a mesh screen and put down the kind of wire that has like quarter inch holes in it. I ordered the megaray bulb I think Sunday maybe Monday and I still haven't gotten it I'm hoping I will tomorrow... I didn't get home until almost 2 o'clock in the afternoon. I had to work this morning. As soon as I got home I made her Shelf. It Is now 5pm and I am sitting down for the first time. I have to take a 2-hour nap because I have to work an overnight tonight and I will get out at 6:30 in the morning. I may do it tomorrow because I don't have to be back to work until 10pm on Saturday night and I work straight through until 10 in the morning on Sunday. By the time I get home on Sunday I am dead. I usually only get 4 hours of sleep from 6 in the morning on Friday until Sunday at about 11 p.m.. .. So basically I go to bed Thursday night and I don't go back to bed until Sunday night at 11 p.m.

♡~Becky~♡

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mignonette For This Useful Post: dimzel (13-01-18)
    Thanks
    So if it is going to be a while before you can get her another enclosure done I would suggest changing the shelf. You did a lot of work and it came out good but I worry about the suction cups and the ability to change the covers for the shelf. It could be a problem with the humidity and it doesn't look like it would be easy to clean. I think a free standing shelf would be better. You could get some 2x2's cut to length and use them for legs and screw your current wood shelf on them. Then the bedding could easily be replaced for washing. You could attach your ladder to the shelf and to the wood below for a steadier climbing area.
    Saving the world, one reptile at a time. They make me want to be a better person. My name is Ann.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to coolmoon For This Useful Post: dimzel (13-01-18)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,961 Times in 1,674 Posts
    I'm also worried about those metal ends. This type of object might stab/scratch iguana.

Name:  becky.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  80.5 KB
    Hello~ my name is Taka. I have a red iguana Charby

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Takacha For This Useful Post: dimzel (13-01-18)
    Thanks
    Okay I think you might be right. I could easily fix the metal Parts on the suction cups I just put hot glue on them and it makes some like rubber so if she was to climb or rub against them it wouldn't hurt her. But I understand about the bedding. I was actually going to do what Mariana did and you buy that plastic sheet usually they make them for cribs and then get Velcro so it can come up and off easy I did it like that today because I didn't have velcro I forgot it at the store but either way I could still do the same thing tomorrow I will see about getting two by twos to make legs for it. I appreciate all of your knowledge and wisdom I have learned so much from all of you and all I can say is thank you God for letting me find you guys all of you are my iguanas guardian angel and mine as well

♡~Becky~♡

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mignonette For This Useful Post: dimzel (13-01-18)
    Thanks
    I was supposed to take a nap but I said forget it I went across the street to a hardware store and I was going to have to buy wire cutters which were $20 and then the wire was like $15. Right before I was about to buy it they told me that they had does really strong 1 inch by 1 inch square metal that they could cut for me. It cost me $4.79. Opposed to $38 after taxes. So I did it it took me about a half an hour to put the new top on and it is very strong and it is secure... I hope this is what you guys were talking about as far as a top goes because this is the best I can get or do if not please tell me and I will try and figure something else out

♡~Becky~♡

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mignonette For This Useful Post: dimzel (13-01-18)
    Thanks
    This is what I got for the top

♡~Becky~♡

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mignonette For This Useful Post:: dimzel (13-01-18),dragonfly (13-01-18),gemma (13-01-18)
    Thanks
    That is a much better top and should not block the light.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coolmoon For This Useful Post:: dimzel (13-01-18),gemma (13-01-18),mignonette (13-01-18)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast