Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: macaw not accepting new bird or...?

JR Member

macaw not accepting new bird or...?

Ok, folks
    it's me (again) with a conundrum,
    As many know I've had my macaw (m, severe) since 2000 (hatched in aug'99) and it's always been just the two of us.
    just before thanks giving 2017 I was given an 15+\- yo male senegal parrot that is a feather chewer and despite now being through three homes (i'm #3) is very affectionate (to the point on trying to mate with my hand/arm/shoulder/etc) and always trying to regurgitate for me (faltered, but I have no intention of carving out a nest hole and making chick with him) and VERY DESTRUCTIVE ON WOOD/CARDBOARD/ETC.

Problem, as time has gone on, the macaw has gotten less and less 'touchy', more aggressive and very chewy on wood toys/cardboard/etc. AND ABSOLUTELY REFUSES TO GET WITHIN 3' OF THE OTHER AND AND THE LITTLE ONE SEEMS TO INTIMIDATED TO BE ANYWHERE BUT ON ME!

both are healthy, eat well (I feed both the same soaked biscuit/seed/fruit/etc) mix and Roudybush/zupreem pellets (the macaw medium, the senegal with small).

I might have ruined the trust with the macaw after an incident where he lashed out and got me good and I reacted badly, but I've been working on repairing the damages but the little one is SO demanding and velcro.

I don't want to 'pass on' one of the birds (not fair to them ). I do have contacts with a local rescue/breeder that said he'd take one.

Crap, I've even been slipping on my cleaning schedule with the cages as well as all the usual house hold needs/maintenance issues (so much for being a solo, single guy, be hecka lot easier to be 'hooked up' with a nice 'bird-girl').

next stop, "Wits End", population:1

Could it be jealousy?
    My name is Irina. Sorry my mistakes in English.

So you have to decide if you can handle dealing with both of them. Do you have a way to separate them into different rooms? Dealing with jealousy is long term and will never go away completely.
    Saving the world, one reptile at a time. They make me want to be a better person. My name is Ann.

I was going to suggest putting them in two rooms as well. It can take a long time for the old bird to realize the new bird isn't going anywhere and accept it as opposed to protesting. I wouldn't handle the new bird in front of the old bird until the jealousy subsides, which it may not.

With the new bird, he has apparently decided you are his mate. My eclectus has done this, which is new to me. I've had lots of birds, but none have done this. Anyway, it's best to try to discourage that. Don't pet the bird anywhere below the neck, and try to limit the time spent holding the bird. Do you have a roll-a-round perch you can put the bird on? I use one for Meesha, so that she is content to be near me, but not on me. It helps, but she still thinks I'm her mate. That is not easy to break. If you allow the senegal to be with you all the time you are reinforcing the clinginess. One thing you could try is getting a recorder to play words in your voice when you aren't in the room, it might be a comfort. I have one for Meesha.
    Mimic Me

I would give it more time, I know it's been a few months, but it can take a long time to first, rebuild trust with the macaw and second get the macaw to give up and realize the new bird is now part of the family. They may never get along, and may have to be in different rooms, but over time they should learn to tollerate each other.
    Last edited by sdellin; 13-03-18 at 00:52.
    My name is Sharon, mommy to Malakai. We live in Vacaville, CA in the US.

If it's meant to be it'll be, if it ain't it won't... it's life, live with it.

An example of parrots of my parents, probably can not be an example. There, a small wavy parrot was second. The first is Corella. Corella for a long time did not accept the second guy. It took 4 years to allow a small parrot to sit next to it.
    For 4 years, Corella showed his displeasure.

JR Member
    spring is coming, I think there is a hormone element too.
    When I had both in the living room (opposite ends) the macaw could see me in the kitchen and every time I moved into the cage area (out of sight) he went off with the loud contact call until I got back into sight or responded (this isn't unusual for him, but seems to be more intense tone with the little senegal around) yet, he would lunge and nip if I tried to come close for a head scratch (I can come from behind play with his tail, move up to head from that direction <sometimes>).

the little one is just a feathered ball of motion exploring the desk top, tearing up a carl's jr cup or trying to 'hump my hand' as usual.

JR Member
    I know in the wild parrots are territorial, makes sense when nest holes and mates are in short supply. When You find your 'piece of real estate' you defend it.

Each of your parrots is special. I think they need time to get used to each other.

The other one might be hormonical atm and the older one doesn't like it + he is jealous of you. You just need to give time to them, it takes a long time for them to get used to the new situation and accept it.
    My name is Pekka, i have two Green Iguanas, two Congo African Grey, Mealy Amazon, two Dogs and a Wife

Quote Originally Posted by sevrmacdad View Post
    I know in the wild parrots are territorial, makes sense when nest holes and mates are in short supply. When You find your 'piece of real estate' you defend it.
    This is true, territorial and jealous, normal in birds.

Did you know that if your bird decide you are her mate, then she will never let another bird or person touch her? They do not understand being unfaithful. They see touching by another "bird" as unfaithful. Interesting little bit of trivia.
    My name is Sharon, mommy to Malakai. We live in Vacaville, CA in the US.

If it's meant to be it'll be, if it ain't it won't... it's life, live with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast