Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who has the experience of planting lavender seeds?

Who has the experience of planting lavender seeds?

Guys, there is a question on the experience of planting lavender from seeds. Can someone share it?
    Me and Mariana plan to plant lavender from the seeds.
    My name is Irina. Sorry my mistakes in English.

Do you know what kind of lavender you are getting?
    Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

My name is Anne.

Mariana, I will also use this topic to help you fight the weeds. You wrote that you injured your back in this war. Therefore, I will share experience, as I and my neighbor fought with the weeds. First of all, I will say that I do not have experience in the proper use of a shovel. Therefore, I also get very tired, and my back starts to ache.
    My neighbor has invented such a method:
    she uses not a regular shovel, but a small scoop. (if the back is tired of a big shovel)
    Name:  лопа.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  39.6 KB

She also sometimes used a low, small stool to keep her back steady. And she daily processed a small area (for example, 50x50 cm). She spent very little time.

For example, when she dug, she undermined a small layer (1-2 cm). This is easier than digging a large layer of land.
    Name:  лопата.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  46.7 KB
    During excavation, we removed weeds and stones. If you do such a small amount of work daily, then the garden is easy to clean from weeds, and not so long and hard.

Ann, unfortunately, there is no experience with lavender. My sister collected seeds from lavender, which during the summer blossoms around the confectionery factory.

Then it is likely English Lavender.

English lavender is the lavender species most easily propagated from seeds. Although it is called "English lavender," the plant is native to the Mediterranean region, where it thrives in rocky, well-drained soil with low fertility and a pH range of 6.4 to 8.3. A sheltered location receiving full sun exposure is best.

Germination
    Lavender seed germination is generally slow, taking two to four weeks. Seeds should be covered with no more than 1/8 inch of soil because the seeds are very small, and seedlings cannot survive a long journey to the soil surface. Keep the soil slightly moist but not wet during the germination process.

When I had mine planted it did take two years for the plants to become large adult plants but it did very well without much work.

My name is Anne.

Thank you, Anne. Do you think it is necessary to plant seeds in pots and then plant them in open ground?
    Now at Marian is not very warm. Probably can not plant seeds now. What do you think?

Well you can start them inside but if the temperature is 50-60 degrees or 10-15 C it can be planted directly outside.

My name is Anne.

Thank you, Anne. For Mariana there will be good information.

Thank you, ladies. Yes, we have around 20C right now during the day, so it will be okay to plant them.
    Do they need preparation? I don't remember the seeds we were talking about in another post, but they required some buffing and then to be kept in moist environment before planting them.
    Do lavender seeds require the same?
    Hello all my name is Mariana, mother to the green iguana Johnny

Mariana, I found a picture of how the seeds are planted. Usually lavender is applied the method of scarification (planting seeds and placing in a refrigerator). I do not know, it may be possible to plant in the open ground under your climate. At least you can try. Let's wait for Ann to say.
    Name:  лав.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  31.3 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast