Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Iguana Not Eating Well

Thanks
    Thanked 37,054 Times in 25,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellarains View Post
    Irina, what is a mirror lamp? Sorry, I am not familiar with that. The red heat lamps are for night time I was told, why do they market them that way if they are bad for their vision? It always amazes me how manufacturers are allowed to market harmful products
    Probably red lamps can be used in terrariums of night animals, who are active at night.
    And iguanas must sleep in the dark, and in the daytime they are satisfied with ordinary lamps. I'm unfortunately not familiar with American brands. But here is an example. This is an ordinary lamp from a hardware store.
    Name:  11.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  59.7 KB
    Thanks to the mirror coating, these lamps produce more heat and are directed to a certain area. In Russia it is a popular way of heating reptiles.
    My name is Irina. Sorry my mistakes in English.

JR Member
    Thanks
    Ok, I have seen that lamp, thank you. I will pick one up next time I am at the Home Depot :)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bellarains For This Useful Post: dimzel (14-04-18)
    Thanks
    Similar lamps are sold in pet stores (for heating reptiles), but their price is higher.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,573 Times in 3,848 Posts
    I'm having a hard time finding regular lamps in the big box stores. Everything has gone to LED, which could be good for the energy bill, but if you're looking for heat they don't work.
    My name is Sharon, mommy to Malakai. We live in Vacaville, CA in the US.

If it's meant to be it'll be, if it ain't it won't... it's life, live with it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sdellin For This Useful Post: dimzel (15-04-18)
    Thanks
    I found these online and bought a couple for extra daytime heat. I like that they are splash proof because of the humidity iguanas need.

https://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Swa.../dp/B002YZ4SKW

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sdellin View Post
    I'm having a hard time finding regular lamps in the big box stores. Everything has gone to LED, which could be good for the energy bill, but if you're looking for heat they don't work.
    You're right. At some point in Russia there was also a big "panic" because of the possible replacement of all heating lamps with LEDs. Thank God that while the previous assortment of lamps remains.
    But now I like to use the old Mega Ray. Their service life is longer than conventional heating lamps. In some terrariums I manage to replace the usual heating lamps with old Mega Ray.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 2,391 Posts
    I use nothing special outdoor/indoor flood light for additional heat placed right next to Megaray during the day.

In the night time I use ceramic heater emitter ( it produces no visible light ) or bump up the whole house central heater.
    Hello~ my name is Taka. I have a red iguana Charby

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Takacha For This Useful Post: dimzel (15-04-18)
    Thanks
    Probably it all depends on the climatic conditions in the room.

Thanks
    I have used reptile basking bulbs, but they burn out so quickly. Maybe from humidity, so I was glad to find out about the splash proof bulbs. However, Irina, since we talked about using old Mega-Ray bulbs for just heat once all their UVB coating is gone and they've been replaced, I may never buy another bulb for heat. I'll just mark the old mega-rays with the word "old" in black marker, so as not to confuse myself (easy to do) and accidentally re-install one thinking it's new. They are great for heat, just like the heat lamps I've been replacing over and over through the years. Not sure why I never thought of that, but it's a great idea.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sdellin For This Useful Post: dimzel (16-04-18)
    Thanks
    Sharon, I noticed that all Mega Ray worked regularly during the recommended period. Conventional heating lamps very quickly burn out. Therefore, I replace burnt-out conventional lamps with old Mega Ray. I'll watch when old Mega Ray finally quit their job. The term of some Mega Ray's work is more than two years.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast