Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: My Iguana's enclosure build

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sdellin View Post
    Josh, good luck with the build. Keep us posted as you go. I'm sure Rango will appreciate a larger enclosure as he (or she, LOL) gets bigger. For me, I happened to have a 6 foot tall water dragon enclosure that I had built when I got my iguana... which he is outgrowing now... darned iguana! I didn't know how large an enclosure he would need as an adult (I'm now building an 8 foot wide enclosure). Had I known I'm sure I would still have gotten him. I'm a sucker for punishment.
    thanks Sharon haha yeah i think im the same, i can always build a bigger one as she grows, but at the momment shes only 1 and a half foot long, i know il need a bigger one but not straight away :) il keep use posted :)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,848 Times in 4,053 Posts
    Can you maybe come over here and work on my enclosure? LOL I had an injury in December where I lost part of my thumb and I lost momentum. I'm working on Malakai's enclosure, but it's slow going.
    My name is Sharon, mommy to Malakai. We live in Vacaville, CA in the US.

If it's meant to be it'll be, if it ain't it won't... it's life, live with it.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdellin For This Useful Post:: dimzel (14-05-18),Walney-Reptiles (14-05-18)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sdellin View Post
    Can you maybe come over here and work on my enclosure? LOL I had an injury in December where I lost part of my thumb and I lost momentum. I'm working on Malakai's enclosure, but it's slow going.

I would love to but i dont have a passport lol

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Walney-Reptiles For This Useful Post: dimzel (14-05-18)
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,198 Times in 2,534 Posts
    Irina is right about bio active substrate. It only works when the enclosure is large enough because you don't want to use intake/exhaust fans for small enclosure. It will cause too much air movement which is not good for iguana's respiratory health. Also if the enclosure ever gets fungus/mold problems the fan will be blowing the pathogens all over the enclosure & into the air your iguana will breathe in.

If you want to have substrate & a pond together one PC fan is way too small to keep air fresh & subdue mold/fungus growth for the size of your enclosure. But if you install a bigger exhaust fan the air will move way too much for iguana to breath healthy and you are going to need air ventilators on top & bottom of the enclosure.

Also mold & fungus will grow behind & under the pond. Behind & between the waterfall rocks & under the plastic pond & liner etc. They are very sneaky. You have to dismantle all the pond system to clean up to avoid mold issues.

I know you have a big idea for your iguana enclosure and you want to try it out but I just don't agree to have Rango in it for the test.

I would test the environment you are building before putting live iguana in it for 1-2 months, make sure you won't get too much air flow & no mold/fungus growing.
    Hello~ my name is Taka. I have a red iguana Charby

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Takacha For This Useful Post: dimzel (14-05-18)
    Thanks
    Thanked 37,649 Times in 25,574 Posts
    This terrarium is definitely small. Those. in this terrarium for the iguana can not have a substrate. Why experiment on iguana health? There was one experiment that ended with a trauma. I just can not understand the meaning of this experience with the substrate. Excuse me for harsh words.
    My name is Irina. Sorry my mistakes in English.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234