Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pigeon nutrition question

Thanks
    Thanked 6,023 Times in 4,171 Posts
    Ann, a lot of good informaiton.
    My name is Sharon, mommy to Malakai. We live in Vacaville, CA in the US.

If it's meant to be it'll be, if it ain't it won't... it's life, live with it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdellin For This Useful Post:: dimzel (17-05-18),Flor (17-05-18)
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,125 Times in 25,928 Posts
    Flor, what news about pigeons?
    My name is Irina. Sorry my mistakes in English.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dimzel For This Useful Post: Flor (20-05-18)
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,342 Times in 2,635 Posts
    Flor, have you looked into the pigeon's feathers? There can be some tiny brown bugs that live between the feathers. Those bugs are normal for pigeons to have while they are healthy ( that's another reason why they trim their feathers ) but when the pigeons are not healthy or strong enough to fight against these bugs they can infect & ruin their healthy feather growth.
    Hello~ my name is Taka. I have a red iguana Charby

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Takacha For This Useful Post:: dimzel (20-05-18),Flor (20-05-18),Johnny (21-05-18)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Takacha View Post
    Flor, have you looked into the pigeon's feathers? There can be some tiny brown bugs that live between the feathers. Those bugs are normal for pigeons to have while they are healthy ( that's another reason why they trim their feathers ) but when the pigeons are not healthy or strong enough to fight against these bugs they can infect & ruin their healthy feather growth.
    Taka in fact i have noticed damaged feathers and at first i thought it was stress bars and then i realised it was feather lice. I have been treating for this. I am about to realease the feral in the flight cage so that he can be released but it's raining so much!

Envoyé de mon SM-G930V en utilisant Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Flor For This Useful Post: dimzel (20-05-18)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,023 Times in 4,171 Posts
    Taka, this is something we must also watch for with chickens. They are good at grooming each other. But like you said, the lice get out of control when the bird is not healthy. It's good, Flor, that you are treating for this. Hopefully the pigeon will be healthy enough before you release it to keep down the number of the bug on it's own.
    My name is Sharon, mommy to Malakai. We live in Vacaville, CA in the US.

If it's meant to be it'll be, if it ain't it won't... it's life, live with it.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdellin For This Useful Post:: dimzel (20-05-18),Flor (21-05-18)
    Thanks
    Flor, good luck!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dimzel For This Useful Post: Flor (21-05-18)
    Thanks
    So the feral pigeon is gone to the flight cage now, in about a week he will be set free. I hope all will be well for him. Remains the wood pigeon and his loft/aviary is not yet ready but coming along. I can't dedicate many hours but i do a bit every day.
    I have a problem with this pigeon. He is habituated with me but he is still wild, and he will freak out and trash about regularly. Now that he is alone I have him in the house more because otherwise he will be lonely. I try to keep it calm and quiet for him but invariably at some point he will feel the need to stretch his wings... and then bam! He crashes. That leads to a lot of broken feathers, bruises at the wrist of the wing and a bloody toe. He really can't control his flight but he is a powerful and heavy bird so when he crashes he really hurts. I try to keep him close to the floor and remove objects he tries to hop on... I don't know what to do, because I can't really stop him from trying to fly. I could just leave him alone in his aviary when it is done but he may get depressed. Inside the house he eats from the hand and enjoys grooming and bathing and generally checking out what is going on. Any ideas? I would like to improve his quality of life but I don't know how...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Flor For This Useful Post: dimzel (22-05-18)
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,502 Times in 15,279 Posts
    Does he have one dedicated place in the house? And try to take off from there?
    I mean to say, if you have to crash-proof a part of the floor, could you do that or is it impossible because he roams?
    No experience in this, I am trying to imagine something that would work.

Sent from my LTAB701QD using Tapatalk
    Hello all my name is Mariana, mother to the green iguana Johnny

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny For This Useful Post:: dimzel (22-05-18),Flor (22-05-18)
    Thanks
    Flor, dear, I also do not know what advice to give.
    Maybe other people will help you. Poor bird. I'm so sorry that he does not understand that he can not fly.Name:  сочувствие.gif
Views: 13
Size:  6.1 KB

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dimzel For This Useful Post: Flor (22-05-18)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Does he have one dedicated place in the house? And try to take off from there?
    I mean to say, if you have to crash-proof a part of the floor, could you do that or is it impossible because he roams?
    No experience in this, I am trying to imagine something that would work.

Sent from my LTAB701QD using Tapatalk
    Yes I think that is the way forward but it is not clear yet to me how to do that, because he flies/jumps a couple of meters and then tumbles on if he is freaked out... In the evening when things are quiet I do manage to keep him with me quite calm and normally there are few accidents. But I need to find a long term solution... i am sure we'll figure it out. I was thinking of a pen with wheels that i could move around the house and where he would not be able to hurt himself.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Flor For This Useful Post: dimzel (22-05-18)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12