Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the Netherlands - Zeeland

Quote Originally Posted by dimzel View Post
    Anna, how did you find such a beautiful place? Did you have any recommendations? Or is it a random choice?
    Well, our friend works here for several years now and we have spoken to him. But he and his new girlfriend want to move out to Norwey (i honestly do not know why)... long story.

Then, I have chosen University. I study Vitality & Tourism Management, so the placement of the school was convenient for my studies (near the sea, lot of restaurants, hotels at the coast etc) and also, the tourism market is growing in this part of the Netherlands each year.
    People's hearts are like wild animals. They attach their selves to those that love and train them.
    ~ Hi, my name is Anna.

You made an excellent choice. To be honest, I did not even know about such sights of the Netherlands.прелестно.GIF
    My name is Irina. Sorry my mistakes in English.

I'm so jealous... The place looks so amazing & pretty!!!

Excuse me... I'm going to a dark corner & sulk.
    Hello~ my name is Taka. I have a red iguana Charby

Quote Originally Posted by Takacha View Post
    I'm so jealous... The place looks so amazing & pretty!!!

Excuse me... I'm going to a dark corner & sulk.
    Well, its of course not perfect. Every country has its ups and downs . For now it is our place to be.
    Who knows the future ... for now it is for sure going well ! Thank you all for kind words.
    People's hearts are like wild animals. They attach their selves to those that love and train them.
    ~ Hi, my name is Anna.

It is very beautiful and the dam is so impressive!
    Hello all my name is Mariana, mother to the green iguana Johnny

Good morning! So today I thought I will share the story of Santa Claus. I know that how many countries, that many names and stories around the Santa. Dutch Sinterklaas is unusual and first to me it was a bit shocking.

Sinterklaas comes to the Netherlands directly from warm Spain. Every year, he calls to the chosen port on the first Saturday after Saint. Martin (at the beginning of November) and stays until December 5.

Interestingly, Sinterklaas does not hide under the cover of the night. On the Dutch land, it is greeted with reverently. It is a show and recreation. He is greeted not only by children. Nicholas exchanges politeness with officials and gives interviews to Dutch TV and radio stations.

You can see his arrival here:

He moves on a white steed, and around them, they part his helpers - black, charred. They are called Zwarte Piet. Zwarte Piet in the Dutch tradition took no coincidence. As the legend of St.Nicholas bought from the captivity the Ethiopian boy Pietrus, who felt obliged to serve the bishop until his death. The blacks of Peter are to be a tribute to this boy. Other tales say something about the Black Moories from the city of Bari, relics and incense.

15618880098_c171e34e96_k.jpg

As you can see, Sinterklaas arrival is celebrated. He is not a mystical figure, but rather a favorite of the people. He gladly celebrate on the streets, share happiness, and greets children. You can talk to him, take pictures, hug (in case of children). It is quite positive. Children go out on the streets in the costmes and they are happy with the arrival of Sinterklaas. Music is playing, the street is loud! It is a huge event.

intocht-sinterklaas-2017.jpgsinterklaas-in-amsterdam.jpg
    Last edited by 94ania.gora; 08-10-18 at 08:46.
    ~ Hi, my name is Anna.

Wow, it looks amazing and very fun. It is very different than what we have here and I have never heard this before. So are there still gifts exchanged?
    Saving the world, one reptile at a time. They make me want to be a better person. My name is Ann.

On the way, Zwarte Piet's usually give to the children 2 types of small cookies called: Pepernoten (anise taste) or Kruidnoot (aromatic-spicy taste).

maxresdefault.jpgpepernoten-kruidnoten-fitbeauty.jpgpepernoten-zwarte-piet.jpg
    At homes, children of coruse get presents from ther parents
    ~ Hi, my name is Anna.

Anna, thank you. I had no idea about such an unusual tradition in the Netherlands. This Santa is awesome. Really a good celebration for people.
    Thank you.gif

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12