Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Build an iguana cage cheap and easy

Thanks
    Thanked 24,359 Times in 16,342 Posts
    I want to add a photo handy shelves. We really like this form - in the form of half of the guitar. This allows you to visually reduce the shelf. And besides iguana can conveniently turn on the shelf due to the wider part of the shelf.
    Name:  Фрагмент1.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  9.5 KBName:  мальчик (1).jpg
Views: 307
Size:  84.3 KBName:  мальчик (2).jpg
Views: 220
Size:  88.3 KBName:  мальчик (4).jpg
Views: 240
Size:  82.4 KBName:  мальчик.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  87.9 KB
    Mounting Method mattresses.
    Name:  мальчик (3).jpg
Views: 208
Size:  39.6 KB
    My name is Irina. Sorry my mistakes in English.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dimzel For This Useful Post:: lucysfriend (12-02-15),puteL (11-10-15),shell7311 (19-05-17)
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,399 Times in 7,054 Posts
    I really like your shelves Irina, so easy to clean too!
    Just because you have an animal that isn't dead yet, doesn't mean you know how to care for it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lucysfriend For This Useful Post: dimzel (14-02-15)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,361 Posts
    Thank you for showing this. The picture of the drainage of the little pool will help us a lot.
    Don't lose today by stressing about tomorrow!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jenn For This Useful Post: dimzel (14-02-15)
    JR Member
    Thanks
    I am starting to build a large terrarium for my young iguana, and I planned to use similar materials (OSB and leftover pieces of an old desk).
    My roommate who works in construction cautioned me to use something to help make the OSB a bit more durable against the moisture and high heat in the terrarium. I know you used a silicone sealant and foil insulation, but I'm curious what form of silicone sealant you used. Based on my google search, I am finding a sort of caulking that is called a "silicone sealant". Is this what you used?

Also, did you use anything on the inside of the tank that was directly on the OSB that helped prevent it from soaking in any moisture?

Thank you!

Thanks
    We employed various silicone sealant (except sanitary sealant). To make it easier to imagine - silicone sealant for aquarium (usually glued to the aquarium silicone sealant). This is a transparent mass, which is used as an adhesive.
    Although it is possible to use different glue. You can read the instructions for use of glue. The main requirement - that after drying the adhesive does not emit harmful substances.
    Also, did you use anything on the inside of the tank that was directly on the OSB that helped prevent it from soaking in any moisture?
    You can show my photos? I can not understand the question.

Thanks
    Oh no, I'm so sorry for what you're going through!!! The help on this forum is incredible, the knowledge is priceless and the love is always felt. It sounds like all is going to be well for Salem after all. I understand how attached you are to your baby, Dino got me through a difficult time and could not imagine having to give him up! I'm so happy this is not the case for you! I'm so excited about the additions to to the new enclosure this will keep Salem healthy and happy and no sniffles yay! You are a good Mom reaching out for help and taking suggestions so gracefully and responsibly. I don't know reptile medicine, I'm a novice, and how difficult for you not having a good reptile doctor, I can't imagine how stressful that is! In my old state there were 3 exotic clinics, all within a maximum 1.5 hour drive. Here it's mixed clinics with cat and dogs with doctors that see reptiles. I really don't feel as comfortable with it because it's not an exotic clinic only. I'm sure it's fine, it's just different to me.
    You mentioned you have a mold issue. This is not ideal with pregnancy. The sooner you get out of there, the better. If you want the larger apartment, and its available now, I would speak to the landlord about transferring the duration of this lease and tack it on the new lease. Do you know what kind of mold? If it is staphybocc
    trys/black mold, this is very dangerous. I wonder if Salem was sniffling from that? Here is a small copy about it
    The most common black mold symptoms and health effects are associated with a respiratory response. Chronic coughing and sneezing, irritation to the eyes, mucus membranes of the nose and throat, rashes, chronic fatigue and persistent headaches can all be symptomatic of black mold exposure or black mold poisoning.

In particularly severe cases of prolonged exposure, black mold health effects can be more dangerous. Often compounded by allergic reaction to the black mold spores, these symptoms can include nausea, vomiting, and bleeding in the lungs and nose.
    Long ago, I moved into a place on the lake. The builder did not know proper ventilation for building on the water. I became very ill, lived in a hotel for months and it was discovered...all the places built there...had black mold! It is then, I bought the new place. Even though the mold was remediated it still comes back. Scary. There are all kinds of varieties of molds, most are are not dangerous, but if you have black mold it's serious to your health and could affect baby. The landlord could move you sooner because of your condition. I'm not wanting to scare you, you may be symptom free, just bringing it to your attention and could get you moved quicker by the landlord. In other words if you really want out of that home quickly, I just gave you a reason. Of course the mold would need to be tested but you can say it's making you sick. See my point? You can move quicker;)
    A shower curtain works well to cover an open enclosure. During the day I would use one curtain and a warm air vaporizer. At night, it would be 2 curtains with ventilation on both sides since the tempurature would get too high, but also circulation of room air. I had 99% humidity and temp was low 80's, it was perfect and his skin was so soft and glowing! Shower liners can be the .99 cent ones. If it smells like a new pool toy, those fumes are toxic so avoid a liner that smells like that. Of course wash any new liner in white vinegar and dishsoap. Let it soak in the bath tub. This is a quick, inexpensive way to maintain humidity. Just make sure a good amount of room air can circulate into the enclosure for temperature control and oxygen. I'm sad it's been a tough year for you, but glad things are improving! One last thing, is the food in the bottom iceberg lettuce? That is all water and could cause excess urine and health issues for Salem. I wish I was of more help=/ one day I will know more reptile medicine. This forum is the best teacher!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shell7311 For This Useful Post:: dimzel (19-05-17),Johnny (19-05-17),salemswhip (19-05-17)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,172 Times in 7,445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shell7311 View Post
    A shower curtain works well to cover an open enclosure.
    But make sure it is away from the heat sources or it could melt / start fire. That includes the upper sides of lamps.
    Hello all my name is Mariana, mother to the green iguana Johnny

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny For This Useful Post: dimzel (19-05-17)
    Thanks
    It isn't iceberg, it's romaine, usually he eats much darker greens but he does get romaine as a snack here and there. It's easier to get him to take calcium with romaine than it is dark greens. The apartment does have black mold, I brought it up to the landlord, he simply wiped it down and painted over it despite both my fiance and I explaining it has had effects on us already. Which it is growing back. I'm aware what it can cause, as I've had my fair share of choice words with our landlord about it (I got told to just get a dehumidifier and air purifier out of my own pocket, which we didn't get the dehumidifier because of Salem), unfortunately I will have to call the health unit, they will have to inspect then I will be able to bring it to the tenant board. We are currently awaiting acceptance for aboriginal housing here. But! This will be resolved ! If it is not dealt with by the first of next month, I will be seeing the health unit and the tenant board, there's no way I am bringing a newborn child into this kind of environment I can assure you. I dislike having my poor animal babies here enough on it's own. So fingers crossed all goes well until then! Right now my priority is getting Salem's health back to where it should be before I start taking on anything bigger. Right now over his tank to keep humidity we do put a blanket, it keeps moisture and heat in but today we should be finished his extension for the most part! I don't know where I would be without this forum, especially since where I live it is so hard to find anyone experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by shell7311 View Post
    Oh no, I'm so sorry for what you're going through!!! The help on this forum is incredible, the knowledge is priceless and the love is always felt. It sounds like all is going to be well for Salem after all. I understand how attached you are to your baby, Dino got me through a difficult time and could not imagine having to give him up! I'm so happy this is not the case for you! I'm so excited about the additions to to the new enclosure this will keep Salem healthy and happy and no sniffles yay! You are a good Mom reaching out for help and taking suggestions so gracefully and responsibly. I don't know reptile medicine, I'm a novice, and how difficult for you not having a good reptile doctor, I can't imagine how stressful that is! In my old state there were 3 exotic clinics, all within a maximum 1.5 hour drive. Here it's mixed clinics with cat and dogs with doctors that see reptiles. I really don't feel as comfortable with it because it's not an exotic clinic only. I'm sure it's fine, it's just different to me.
    You mentioned you have a mold issue. This is not ideal with pregnancy. The sooner you get out of there, the better. If you want the larger apartment, and its available now, I would speak to the landlord about transferring the duration of this lease and tack it on the new lease. Do you know what kind of mold? If it is staphybocc
    trys/black mold, this is very dangerous. I wonder if Salem was sniffling from that? Here is a small copy about it
    The most common black mold symptoms and health effects are associated with a respiratory response. Chronic coughing and sneezing, irritation to the eyes, mucus membranes of the nose and throat, rashes, chronic fatigue and persistent headaches can all be symptomatic of black mold exposure or black mold poisoning.

In particularly severe cases of prolonged exposure, black mold health effects can be more dangerous. Often compounded by allergic reaction to the black mold spores, these symptoms can include nausea, vomiting, and bleeding in the lungs and nose.
    Long ago, I moved into a place on the lake. The builder did not know proper ventilation for building on the water. I became very ill, lived in a hotel for months and it was discovered...all the places built there...had black mold! It is then, I bought the new place. Even though the mold was remediated it still comes back. Scary. There are all kinds of varieties of molds, most are are not dangerous, but if you have black mold it's serious to your health and could affect baby. The landlord could move you sooner because of your condition. I'm not wanting to scare you, you may be symptom free, just bringing it to your attention and could get you moved quicker by the landlord. In other words if you really want out of that home quickly, I just gave you a reason. Of course the mold would need to be tested but you can say it's making you sick. See my point? You can move quicker;)
    A shower curtain works well to cover an open enclosure. During the day I would use one curtain and a warm air vaporizer. At night, it would be 2 curtains with ventilation on both sides since the tempurature would get too high, but also circulation of room air. I had 99% humidity and temp was low 80's, it was perfect and his skin was so soft and glowing! Shower liners can be the .99 cent ones. If it smells like a new pool toy, those fumes are toxic so avoid a liner that smells like that. Of course wash any new liner in white vinegar and dishsoap. Let it soak in the bath tub. This is a quick, inexpensive way to maintain humidity. Just make sure a good amount of room air can circulate into the enclosure for temperature control and oxygen. I'm sad it's been a tough year for you, but glad things are improving! One last thing, is the food in the bottom iceberg lettuce? That is all water and could cause excess urine and health issues for Salem. I wish I was of more help=/ one day I will know more reptile medicine. This forum is the best teacher!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    - - - Updated - - -

Also a question to everyone, is polycarbonate an appropriate material to use when building an enclosure? I read it is more durable than glass, and it is much easier for me to purchase.
    My name is Moriah

14. The Following User Says Thank You to salemswhip For This Useful Post: dimzel (19-05-17)
    Thanks
    Dear Moriah, we all keep our crossed fingers in order to solve your problems. Name:  сердечко.gif
Views: 17
Size:  563 Bytes

Polycarbonate is used in terrariums. You mean for the doors?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dimzel For This Useful Post: salemswhip (19-05-17)
    Thanks
    Yes, I figured this would be ideal for the doors if it was a safe material
    My name is Moriah

18. The Following User Says Thank You to salemswhip For This Useful Post: dimzel (19-05-17)
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast